Tuesday 13 January 2009

Scrimping n' Saving

I'm sure alot of you are suffering the financial strains of the economical crisis at the moment...I've been working hard to save my pennies! I think that it's paying off :) Some of the things I've been doing is turning off all the plugs, wearing extra coats rather than turning on the heating and other such boring solutions. But more interestingly is my more creative list hehe:

* Using one tea bag between 3 cups... We drink alot of tea ok! Haha
* Charity shopping for clothes. I've picked up tons but it takes alot of dedication and trawling through a load of crap. I think it pays off more though because it's sooo much cheaper and I've been getting decent brands (River Island, Warehouse) and the stuff is in excellent condition. I feel nice too because it's for a good cause and I'm getting a total bargain so it's a win-win situation!

* Ebay. I've bought a ton of presents and clothes on here (I know.. Clearly a shopping addiction haha). I've noticed that if I look at stuff that's got the photo the wrong way round it seems noone can be bothered to save it to the computer and turn it the right way other than me who clearly has more dedication (or is that time....) and I got some fab stuff. This has included a River Island dress with the most gorgeous embroidery ever for...£3.50!!!!!! Oh my lord.

* Getting my hair done my family/friends. I pay for the dye which was a fiver rather than the usual £40 and then they do my hair and I do them a favour like make their dinner, or help them use the computer. If you dont have a friend or family member who's a hairdresser (My Mum is convienently one) befriend one now!

* whatsmineisyours.com This is a FAB site! I bet everybody reading this has stuff in their house they never use, like clothes, unwanted xmas pressies etc. If you take a photo and write a description (all for free!) then you can swap your items for stuff you'd want on this site. It feels like getting a present through the door, is a great way to declutter and it means you're getting something good in return yay! Here's what I got in return for a key chain:





The person I swapped with loved what they got, and I love love love this purse and bracelet!

*Sales - make a vow to yourself now you will never ever buy full price again. If you want a cardigan, then check round all the cheaper places you wouldn't normally consider, and you'll be amazed at what you can find in the sales. Also, if you're buying stuff like electrical goods shops are very varied in price! Including a search on the internet can bring up stuff so much cheaper too like play.com and Ebay.

*All in the packaging... If you buy gifts for people, especially things like earrings and put them in a nice box rather than just giving them in the high-street packet they come in it can make it look like you paid alot more than you actually did, which is always good!

*Sharing a bath with your other half...What an excuse!!

*Checking out your local area for free things that are happening. I lately went on an eleven mile walk with my family and had a great time getting out there and spending some quality time together. Some of the things happening where I live were the boxing day dip (running into the sea on Boxing day for charity...ouch!), live bands etc. - I'm sure you'll find stuff just as good too!

*Look through the newspaper for special deals for eating out. They can save a small fortune which can be used towards something else. And food always tastes nicer when you know it's on a special deal ;) hehe.

These are only a few that I can think of at the moment haha. Let me know what you do to save money! Would love to hear it and get some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment