Saturday 25 July 2009

Making the most of your appearance: Hair

I honestly believe that anyone can be attractive without the need for surgery. Humans are programmed to find certain attributes appealing because our instinct is to carry on the human race through sex. I'm not saying you'll look like a supermodel with effort, but you'll still look great and attract the right kind of attention. Everyone has parts of them that are unique and quirky and you can work with them. It's extremely harsh and shallow to say, but it's true most (if not all) people judge you on appearance, and I think it's more about the effort you put into yourself than anything else. If you make an effort with yourself, others will think you're worth the effort too.

Here's a guide on how you can make the most of your appearance. This is just a guide; everyone is different and two people who are both very attractive will be polar opposites. You have to stay true to yourself - confidence is after all the most sexiest thing about a person.

In this post I'm going to concentrate on hair, I'll write and post the other sections later on.



Hair




Looking after your hair





Scientifically, we are drawn towards thick healthy hair, and with so many options this is easy to imitate. Make sure that you deep condition your hair ideally once a week, and keep it in good condition by using heat protectant when drying and styling. Consider a daily protectant to prevent sun exposure, weather damage and fumes which can ruin the texture and natural oils in hair.



What hairstyle is right for me?










Find a few hairstyles you like the look of and go to a reputable hairdressers to discuss how they could work for your hair type and face shape. Try and find looks that would suit your hair type, the amount of time you'd be willing to spend styling your hair and your budget for upkeep. There's no point picking a hairstyle that would take 30mins if you are only prepared to spend 5mins in the morning, or picking an amazing hairstyle that would need regular dyes and cuts to keep it intact if you're on a very limited budget.

I'd say go to a reputable hairdressers at first and splash out, then upkeep your look with a cheaper hairdresser. If you fancy a change, consider small changes, only changing your hair on a massive scale with a hairdresser you trust completely.


General advice for hair and upkeep







Strictly speaking, highlights on your natural colour (for example, if you have light brown hair go for dark blonde highlights, ginger then consider vibrant red etc) and soft layers are the most flattering to nearly every single face shape and hair type. A solid hair colour can look tacky and hair is one of the first things people notice so it's well worth the extra money for a professional dye. I only go to the hair dressers for highlights every six months as I'm a student, and in the mean time I touch up my roots every 2 months and get my Mam (who's a hairdresser) to trim the ends to keep them in good condition. If you don't have a hairdresser on tap, then in the meantime go to a very cheap hairdresser and just ask for a trim which is very difficult to get wrong and can make you feel a million dollars.


Daily effort



Hair is so important, so don't leave it for days on end to get disgusting and greasy, people will notice. If you're completely stretched for time and can't possibly wash it, invest in some cute hats to hide those roots. If you dry your hair with a hairdryer rather than leaving it to dry naturally you will also have more control over the finished style. Otherwise you might end up with a slanty and uncontrollable 'do which has dryed strangely overnight from the way you've been lying on it.



Where to get basic hair style ideas and find out the basic tools you need for your hair...


(A photo from the Youtube channel 'Itsjudytime')


Check out youtube tutorials for hairstyles you can try out in ways which are easy to follow. I particularly like the channel 'Itsjudytime' as she's so friendly and explains in a way which is easy to follow. Also buy fashionable hair bands and clips to update your look so you appear that you have made an obvious effort to look presentable. Invest in simple styling products - heat protectant, styling spray and hairspray are total essentials. The right tools are also a must; at least a straightening iron, hair dryer, hot air brush, a teasing comb and a normal brush. You may think what is the point of so much effort, but believe me people always notice your hair and the effort you've made even if they don't comment - I personally always notice hair and find those who make an effort instantly look more glamorous.


My own daily hair regime:
I'm not blowing my own trumpet (ok I am a little....) but I often get complimented on my hair as being thick and in really good condition. My hair used to be totally unmanageable and I had MANY cringworthy days. Thankfully I've learnt to work with my hair and I rarely ever have a bad hair day.......


1) I wash my hair every day as it becomes so greasy otherwise. This isn't essential for every hair type so consider your own hair. I wash it twice with shampoo and then rub conditioner on the ends which I leave on for a good five minutes before washing off.

2) It's bad for your hair to apply heat when it's soaking wet (wait until it's only damp) so I towel dry it. I pat the wet out my hair rather than rub as my hair would break.

3) When it's nearly dry, I apply a heat protectant spray all over my hair and comb it through, and use the hair dryer on the lowest heat to cause the least damage. To make my hair look thicker and to create volume I dry it upside down. Also when I turn off the hair dryer and the heat is still in my hair I remain with my head upside down. This is because your hair remains in the position it's cooled in, so it would end up flat against my head if I let it dry in that position, but it falls nicely volumnised at the roots against my head if I wait with my hair upside down.


4) I use styling spray for any flyaways and as well as this I use it to comb through my hair to make it more manageable. If any of my hair is at a weird angle I usually apply heat protectant spray on that section before I get out the straighteners.


5) If I want a really glamourous look, I section off my hair as if I was going to do a half do. I then put in my extentions (£15 from Extras) and clip them down. I let down the top of my hair which covers the clips from my extentions and then I use my fingers to comb through my hair and extentions so they don't break. I then add a fashionable headband or clip to show an obvious effort.

I get my hair highlighted with two different shades of blonde to keep my hair slightly natural, as one tone can look brassy and cheap. My hair is kept layered to create bounce and volume.


Love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment